Monday, August 9, 2010

Our Trip Back East

Well, I think I am done with all the post-vacation chores.  I'm caught up on laundry, the litter boxes have been completely emptied, and my fridge is stocked with food again.  And I have all my pictures back from our trip, so I'm ready to share them with you!  I hope I don't overwhelm anyone - we took 4 rolls of film, plus 350+ digital pictures!!  Yes, we are "that" family who is always taking pictures on a trip.  Not too touristy, though, I hope!

After visiting family in Kansas, our first stop on our trip was the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area on the border of Kentucky and Tennessee.  What a pretty area! 

We visited a nature center where they had local animals - hawks, owls, turkeys, even a bobcat!  And hummingbirds everywhere.  E really liked the kids area - she did ALL the puzzles, saw the butterfly crysalis and tree frogs, and made Daddy read her The Lorax a couple of times.





One of the highlights of the trip was here: a living history 1850s farmstead.  This was so neat!  We got to walk around in all of the houses and buildings, and there were people (in the AWFUL heat and humidity) dressed in period clothing doing chores around the place.  There was a girl quilting, a man chopping wood, and another man playing the banjo.  There were also a few animals running around: hogs, horses, and chickens. 









Back in the museum, E got to dress up like a little pioneer girl!  Isn't she cute!

Next up, the Great Smoky Mountains National Park!  And, just because I can, I'll leave you with a crazy horse picture.

No comments: